Dr. Rob Waring is an acknowledged expert in Extensive Reading and second language vocabulary acquisition. He has presented and published widely on these topics. He is Associate Professor at Notre Dame Seishin University in Okayama, Japan. Professor Waring is an Executive Board member of the Extensive Reading Foundation.
- Ph.D. in vocabulary acquisition under Paul Meara of the University of Wales, Swansea, UK (1999)
- Masters of Education (TESOL) Temple University, Osaka (1993)
- Cambridge University / RSA Diploma in TESOL (1990)
- Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Western Australia(1978)
- Rossall School, Lancashire, England. 3 A Levels. (English Literature, English Language and History) (1975)
- Waring, R., 2019. The ins and outs of writing graded readers. Keynote speech at Japan Extensive Reading Association, Kansai University, Umeda Campus, Feb 4th.
- Waring, R., 2019. The most important homework of the year. In Inspirational Stories from English Language Classrooms. Edited by Flora D. Floris & Willy A. Renandya. Pp. 12-14.
- Myskow, G.: P. R. Underwood and R. Waring. 2018. The Blind Spots of Reading: Switching on Lights in the University Classroom. In Wadden, P and C. Hale (eds), Teaching English at Japanese Universities. Routledge. Pp. 54-63.
- Waring, R. 2017. The Balanced Curriculum, Vinh University Publications. Waring, R. 2016. Defining Extensive Reading. Extensive Reading Journal 8(1) 6-8.
- Waring, R. and S. McLean. 2015. Exploration of the core and variable dimensions of extensive reading research and pedagogy. Reading in a Foreign Language, 27 (1) 160-167.
- Waring, R. 2015. The Inescapable Case for Building an Extensive Reading Program, Proceedings of the Institute for Teacher Training in Gongju, South Korea. Pp. 76-90.
- Waring, R. 2014. Extensive Reading and Listening in the Japanese context (⽇本の多読 と多聴). Tadoku Magazine; Cosmopier, Tokyo.
- Waring, R. 2014. Building Fluency with Extensive Reading. In T. Muller, J. Adamson, P. S. Brown, & S. Herder (Eds.) Exploring EFL Fluency in Asia. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. Pp. 211-230.
- Waring, R. 2013. Extensive Reading in Korea: 10 Years and Going Strong. KOTESOL 2012 Proceedings. In Shaffer, D. Perfect Score: Methodologies, Technologies, & Communities of Practice. Pp. 49-56.
- Waring, R. 2013. Extensive Reading in English language Teaching. In Widodo, H. & A. Cirocki (Eds.) Innovation and Creativity in ELT Methodology. Nova Publishers: New York. Pp. 69-80.
- Waring, R. 2013. The relationship between speed reading and extensive reading. Extensive Reading Journal 6 (2) 20-22.
- Waring, R. 2013. Extensive Reading and Graded Readers. Compass Publishing, Seoul.
- Waring, R., Lemmer, R., M. Brierley, B, Reynolds. 2011. Introduction to the Extensive Reading Foundation Online Self-Placement Test. Proceedings of the First World Congress on Extensive Reading KOTESOL. Pp. 34-42.
- Waring, R. 2011. Assessing Receptive and Productive Vocabulary. Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken, Germany.
- Waring R. 2008. Guest Editor. Special Edition on Reading and Vocabulary. Reading in a Foreign Language, Volume 20, Number 2, October 2008.